Summer vegetables galore at Bathgate Farm
At last the summer crops are in full production. Plenty of new lines to try at the market.
Tomatoes and other fruit
- Heirloom varieties including beefsteaks – rouge de mamande, brandywine, black krim; Verona orange and ananas noir.
- Salad varieties: money maker, juanne flamme, tigerella, zebras.
- multi-coloured large cherry sized varieties,
- Chillies: jalapeno
- Peppers: corno de rosso;
- golden nugget squash;
- eggplants – several types including Lebanese, ping tung long, Listada.
- Pickling cucumbers
New season early harvest potatoes.
- Norland – pink skinned, round, white flesh, waxy. Ideal for boiling, salads, casseroles;
- Delaware – white skin and flesh. Newly dug so more waxy than usual.
Stems and roots:
- pickling size brown onion;
- spring onions;
- beetroot – large sized standard, golden, white and candy stripe and mangel wurzels;
- Perpetual spinach, silver beet and ruby chard;
- Tuscan kale (cavolo nero);
- Bitter green salad mix;
- Radicchio, frisee and scarole.
- pak choy, green and white stem;
- choy sum;
- kang kong;
All available on Saturday from 8 am to 12 noon at Albany Farmers Market, Collie Street, Albany. Western Australia.