Spring is almost here. We have an abundance of plump fennel bulbs and lots of carrots of all colours. Last fortnight for potatoes.
- Norland – red skinned, waxy potatoes for boiling and salads. Boil up more than you need and use them later in a Spanish omelette or potato curry;
- Ranger Russet – very floury potato developed for chipping, also perfect for roasting and jacket potatoes. Good masher, but be careful when boiling floury potatoes as they crack when over cooked.
Stems and roots:
- new season carrots – several varieties including Amsterdam (long thin orange), nantes and purple and yellow varieties;
- beetroot golden and standard with the tops on for all those keen juicers and smoothie makers. Beetroot tops are a delicious cooked like chard or shredded in a salad.
- fennel ;
- bunched young purple topped turnips;
- Purple sprouting (purple florets with crisp, sweet green stems – lightly cook or eat raw);
- Perpetual spinach bunches;
- Mixed kale/collard bags;
- Bitter green salad mix pus some whole frisee and scarole;
See our article Winter Salads for some salad making ideas.
- Argentine pumpkins – on request only.
Preserves from the farm :
- Coriander and Garlic Sauce (for marinades, basting, substitute for fresh coriander),
- Vietnamese Curry Paste,
- Harrief (hot Moroccan style chilli and roasted pepper sauce),
- Thai style Chilli Jam,
- Red Onion and Tomato Chutney,
- Eggplant Kasaundi (sorry out of stock, new batch soon)
- Tomato Kasaundi,
- Spicy Tomato Sauce,
- Quince Butter and
- Quince Jelly – classic jelly and with quince pieces.
All available on Saturday from 8 am to 12 noon at Albany Farmers Market, Collie Street, Albany. Western Australia.